Punctuality, Flawed Characters, and Completing The Circle

The Circle - Dave Eggers

It took me a while to get through this book, mostly because of the demands of my a-levels at the moment. So I was pretty slow in reading this, but man, it was one hell of a ride.

The most crucial thing about this book is its punctuality. In my opinion, there has never been a better time to be wary of 'completing the circle' as it was so elegantly put in this story. Shrugging aside the propaganda, it held a very hard hitting message.

The book did come with pet peeves, however. Aside from the lengthy descriptions of pointless details; I found the main character, Mae, incredibly irritating. The girl couldn't read a warning sign if it were two foot in front of her face and spelled out in flashing neon lights. But I do stand by Eggers with this, as everyone knows that the best characters are flawed.

Still, I did find the book thoroughly enjoyable and eye opening. The Circle comes with beautiful metaphors (which took me far too long to understand), and a vaguely 1984-esqe message. I'd definitely recommend this to anyone who's looking for something to shake up the YA conventions.